Northern Arapaho Tribal Industries
The general ledger accountant will prepare journal entries, reconcile financial statements and
accounts, and ensure data accuracy. The general ledger accountant will report to the Executive
Manager, work with management in other departments including IT, sales operations,
engineering and tribal leadership. The general ledger accountant will be a full time in-office
position and may occasionally work overtime to accommodate the needs of the company. This
position involves analyzing and ensuring accuracy of data and requires detail-oriented,
organized, and accurate performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains the integrity of the general ledger including the preparation, verification, and input
of journal entries. Prepares analysis of accounts as requested.
- Verify and approve deposits into accounting software and verifies accurate accounts and
amounts are entered.
- Prepares and remits quarterly sales and use tax reports to the appropriate administration.
- Maintains 1099 list throughout the year, prints and distributes 1099’s after calendar year end.
- Complete all payroll functions on a bi-weekly basis and file required IRS reports and
- Monthly reconciliation of bank accounts and review of outstanding check lists for stale
checks. Assists Accounts Payable and verify the vendor accounts to clear stale checks from the
list and voided checks.
- Reconciles and maintains balance sheet accounts.
- Assists with month-end and year-end closings, and annual financial statement audits.
- Consults with the CFO regarding major policy decisions, major expenditures and unusual
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned by direct supervisor.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to;
Ensure Data Accuracy
The general ledger accountant will check that data is accurate. Conduct active internal audits to
maintain truthful and precise data in documents.
Analyze Financial Information
Analyzing and interpreting financial information, the general ledger accountant will provide
assurance that information complies with professional and regulatory standards. Ensure that data
supports budgeting and forecasting requirements and provide solutions to control issues.
Support Monthly and Annual Close Processes
At the end of the month and/or year, the general ledger accountant will record information such
as accrual, deferral, reclass, and interdepartmental entries into the company’s accounting ledger.
Perform account analysis to make sure that entries and balances are correct.
On a regular basis, the general ledger accountant will reconcile accounts with the general ledger
and ensure that all entries are accurate and that transactions are reported in accordance with
accounting standards and government regulations. When they find errors, they make changes as
Prepare Journal Entries
With appropriate supporting documentation, the general ledger accountant will prepare journal
entries relating to amortization, depreciation, accruals, and a variety of other information. Ensure
that entries align with generally accepted accounting principles.
General Ledger Accountant Skills and Qualifications
The general ledger accountant will be highly organized and manage multiple priorities and
assignments at the same time. Working with financial documents, they will display a high degree
of integrity and professionalism. In addition to one to five years of general ledger accounting
experience, the following skills and qualifications are necessary to the job:
Problem-solving skills – with strong problem-solving skills, the general ledger accountant will
analyze data and search for inconsistencies, then reconcile inconsistencies and devise solutions
Accounting functions – the general ledger accountant will have knowledge of technical
accounting functions and are experienced in financial record keeping and bookkeeping.
Math skills – since they work with financial documents, the general ledger accountant will
frequently use math to calculate data and ensure that information is correct. They are
experienced working with numbers and making calculations with minimal errors.
Auditing experience – auditing financial statements and documents requires a strong eye for
errors and inconsistencies. The general ledger accountant will correct mistakes as necessary and
are comfortable interpreting the accuracy of financial documents.
Communication skills – the general ledger accountant will be required to use excellent verbal
and written communication skills to interact effectively with workers of all levels throughout the
● Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and Google applications preferred.
● Hands-on knowledge of accounting software required (QuickBooks preferred).
● Thorough knowledge and demonstrated skills in matters related to accounting and financial
policies, procedures, and reporting.
● Solid understanding of U.S. GAAP required.
● Strong general ledger reconciliation skills.
● Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; or an equivalent combination of education and
● Minimum of 1 year of relevant accounting experience required. 3-5 years is preferred. Prior
experience or familiarity in a finance or business operations related environment is highly
The above statements and job description are intended to describe the nature and level of work
being performed within this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties and tasks. Other similar or additional duties are to be performed or
assigned. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. Northern
Arapaho Tribal Industries/Wind River Internet maintains its status as an at-will employer.